Published by Lyn on 20 August 2015
Tracy Melass stayed at Hôtel Le Versailles at the start of her Paris to Mont St-Michel Veloscenic bike route. Here's what she thought of it.
You couldn't ask for a better location than this, a 30-second walk from Chateau de Versailles (you may even glimpse it from your bedroom window). And if you happen to forget you're in Versailles, the bedroom is wallpapered with scenes from the royal palace, so you may wake up to a courtier, or even a royal, staring down at you. At breakfast you'll be sitting next to a gushing fountain, while the passages and hallways are lined with photographs of sights and scenes you'll revisit outside the front door. It's good fun.
Five things we liked
1) There's a bicycle shop (Cycles Jacquot) just around the corner for those last-minute panic buys like a lock or a water bottle.
2) You're so close to the palace you can take your bike out for a cool late-evening ride around Versailles after the tour buses and hordes have left.
3) There was a great slap-up cyclers' breakfast: a very generous Continental, plus beef sausages and scrambled eggs (unusual in France).
4) The nearby Le Saint Julien (6 rue St Julien) is a laid-back restaurant with a bistro ambiance. It's run by Justine and her chef brother Jean-Baptiste. Superb, fairly priced, unfussy food.
5) Location! Location! Location! It's an easy access point for the Veloscenic bike route that links Paris and Mont St-Michel. If you stand with your back to the palace, the cycle path starts on your right. Get your map ready and go!
Hôtel Le Versailles
7 Rue Sainte Anne, 78000 Versailles, France
Phone: +33 (0)1 39 50 64 65
Click here to book
More bike-friendly places to stay in France