Published by Lyn on 26 January 2016
Hilde Morris stayed at the Hotel Le Donjon in Carcassonne at the start of her Canal du Midi bike ride. Here's what she thought of it.
This hotel is more upmarket than the chambres d'hotes we usually choose, but what a fabulous start to our cycle ride down the Canal du Midi. This hotel is an ancient building right in the middle of Carcassonne – it's location could not be better. (It is in fact three buildings knocked together and lovingly restored). What's more, the staff could not be more helpful and the rooms are serious luxury.
5 things we liked
1. Location: Within minutes of arriving we were out exploring, looking for somewhere to eat, just enjoying being there in the centre of this lovely old town. And waking up to that wonderful view: the castle ramparts (other rooms look out over the gardens).
2. The decor: Dark polished wood, beautiful fabrics, deep carpets, the odd suit of armour ... OK, OK, it's very touristy (remember this *is* one of France's most popular tourist towns), but it is very tastefully done. We loved it!
3. The breakfasts! Sumptuous is the word.
4. The views from our lovely bedroom: medieval ramparts, touched by the early morning sun, mist swirling round.
5. No cars are allowed in the old town but the hotel can send their taxi to collect you and your bikes at the gates or from the station.