Published by Lyn on 20 August 2015
Tracy Melass stayed at Hôtel des Ducs in Alençon on her Veloscenic bike ride from Paris to Mont St-Michel. Here's what she thought of the hotel.
Very conveniently situated on Avenue Wilson, the hotel is a hop, skip and jump from the Veloscenic route as you cycle into Alençon (just what you need at the end of a long day in the saddle). The owner/manager couple are warm and welcoming, and very helpful with local tourist information (and when it comes to letting you in when you forget your access code late at night ...). Our bikes were locked in a bike rack in a carport behind electric gate; it was spacious and secure.
5 things we like
1) Spacious rooms, spotlessly clean, all the mod cons.
2) It's well-situated and close to restaurants. You can stroll through the old town after dinner. Among many other attractions, the cobbled streets and magnificent church are worth a pit stop before you head off the next day. Oh, and don't forget, this is one of the lace capitals of France.
3) The owners cheerfully give us a map and directions to the next stage of the Veloscenic. Listen carefully as the highlighter is whipped out – it's a tricky departure point.
4) It's opposite a bar for some pannier provisions. You'll appreciate the Mars bars when those energy levels dip.
5) They served up a generous breakfast well above and beyond the standard croissant and pain au chocolat. Great coffee, too.
Hôtel des Ducs
50 avenue Wilson, 61000 Alençon (Orne, Normandy)
Phone: +33(0)2 33 29 03 93
Rooms from €68
Click here to book
More bike-friendly places to stay in France