Published by Lyn on 2 October 2015
Tracy Melass stayed at Camping Aux Pommiers at the end of her Veloscenic Paris to Mont St-Michel bike ride. Here's what she thought of it.
There's camping and then there's camping à la française. Not that I’m an expert, mind you, having never stayed at a French campsite before this one. So Camping Aux Pommiers blew my hair back. It's like a little village. Think Pleasantville — manicured grass, winding paths, streetlights ... And, drumroll: a heated pool! It's also super-conveniently located, about a 20-minute bike ride from the cycle/walking path to Mont-Saint-Michel. It’s spotlessly clean, has all the mod cons you'd need, and is right in the high street of Beauvoir, if you want to stock up on snacks and essentials. It was bursting at the seams — is it ever not, I wonder— providing shelter to the never-ending stream of pilgrims to Mont-Saint-Michel from all over the world. But you wouldn’t know it — its owners run a tight ship. Oh, and it’s cheap as chips.
5 things we liked
1. We didn't have tents, so we couldn't camp in the strictest sense. We slept in what the French call a chalet-hôtel – a bungalow-style prefab little green and white cottage with two beds and a dinky bathroom. It was fab! We had even had our own verandah.
2. Have I mentioned the heated pool yet?
3. You name it, they've got it: bar, snack bar, shop selling bread, pastries and sundries, outdoor ping-pong tables, mini golf, trampoline, video games, boules, pinball, board games, bicycle hire, washing machines, tumble dryers, BBQ rental and ticket sales for Mont-Saint-Michel Abbey. You never, ever have to leave. Okay, maybe to go and see Mont-Saint-Michel. It also got accueil vélo status, so they tick all the bike boxes.
4. Breakfast is included in your stay at the chalet-hôtel. We woke to the smell of baking croissants.
5. It's an indecently short walk across the road from Hôtel le Beauvoir (9 route du Mont Saint-Michel) where you will have one of the Best Meals Ever. No exaggeration. All in all, Camping Aux Pommiers provides a top-notch R&R option at the end of the Veloscenic.