Published by Lyn on 23 January 2019
Join us on our Freewheeling France Social Rides Weekend and tackle the Ventoux. It's an all-abilities weekend and it's May 23-26, 2019.
Our second annual Freewheeling France Ventoux weekend will take place on May 23-26, 2019.
The weekend – like our 2018 weekend – is for mixed abilities. You don't need to be a racing cyclist or a club rider to join us (I'm neither) – but of course you're welcome to come if you are (and bring your clubmates!)
You will need a decent level of fitness and a bit of determination to tame the Ventoux, but in 2018 we had a real mix of social riders and sportive riders. We had two hybrid riders who tried road bikes for the first time and an e-biker. We also had sportive riders who tackled two sides back-to-back.
The Ventoux weekend is intended to be a social and affordable weekend for Freewheeling France readers. And you can ride at your own pace safe in the knowledge that it's probably not physically possible to be slower than me.
I'm running the Ventoux weekend in conjunction with John and Gerry at 44-5 Cycling Tours, who have probably lost count of how many times they've climbed the Giant of Provence. Which may or may not offer some consolation in the last 10km.
Read on or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
What you need to know
When: Thursday, May 23 to Sunday, May 26, 2019.
Cost: €395 per person based on double or twin share. There is a €100 single supplement – if you are happy to share a twin room, we can match you up with another solo rider (of the same gender) so you can avoid the supplement.
- 3 nights' B&B hotel accommodation
- Evening 'welcome' meal on the Thursday
- Fully supported 'warm-up' ride on the Friday (approx 60km with 800m elevation)
- Fully supported Ventoux climb from Bedoin on the Saturday*
- Energy gels, bars and water for Ventoux
- Vehicle support and rescue service on Friday and Saturday
- GPX files and suggestions for unguided ride on the Sunday for anyone who can stick around
- Stacks of local advice from Gerry and John at 44-5 Cycling Tours
* Friday is our Ventoux backup day in case the weather forecast for Saturday looks dodgy.
What's not included
- Airport/station transfers and bike hire all available for a surcharge
- Lunches - we'll get these ourselves on the road
- Evening meals on Friday and Saturday. In 2018 we ate locally on the Friday night and had post-ride pizza on Saturday.